I was down $1 on my itunes card & after wondering where it went I realized I did not have my phone set up as secure as I thought.
Luckily I have Apple which is pretty easy to turn off in app purchases. I would like Apple even more if this was set to OFF from the beginning making people turn it ON but I digress.
Settings > General > Restrictions > Turn "In App Purchases" to Off
or you can set "Require Password" to immediately or after 15 minutes which as long as you don't give your password out to the kids :)
If you have products that use the Android Market you are not so lucky I've heard. Now I don't have Android so I have not personally tested this but here are some ways.
- Set a PIN for purchase *not available on all devices click here to see how to see/change your version
- if running version 3.1 or higher > Google Play Store > Menu > Settings > Set or change PIN > enter PIN code > OK > Re-enter PIN to confirm > Check box "Use PIN for purchases"
Other ways that might work if you don't want to upgrade your version
- remove your credit card or put a gift card that has a $0 balance.
- install an app that will require passwords to certain apps "App Protector Pro" does cost $
- turn on airplane mode when the child is using it. This will not allow you to get calls or text messages till turned off
So hope this helped.